Sarah surfaces after serious health battle

070616heartEditor’s Note: We have been holding back back posting the news about the announcement that Sarah will be getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, as well as the Disney official announcement of a Wreck-It Ralph sequel– both because we knew something serious was happening with Sarah and we wanted to wait for word about that. Here, finally, is word. Sarah posted the following on Facebook today:

     Hi. This is me telling everyone in my life at once why I haven’t been around. This will not interest everyone so feel free to disregard.
     I was in the ICU all of last week and I am insanely lucky to be alive. Don’t even know why I went to the doctor, it was just a sore throat. But I had a freak case of epiglottitis.
     I owe my life to Dr. Shawn Nasseri, Dr. Robert Naruse, Dr. Rob Huizenga, every nurse, and every technician & orderly at Cedars who’s punch-the-clock jobs happen to save human lives on the regular.
There’s something that happens when three people you’re so close to die within a year and then YOU almost die but don’t. (That was me. I’m the one that didn’t die.) It’s a strange dichotomy between, “Why me?” and the other, “Why me?”
     They couldn’t put me fully to sleep for the recovery process because my blood pressure’s too low. I was drugged just enough to not feel the pain and have no idea what was happening or where I was. They had to have my hands restrained to keep me from pulling out my breathing tube. My friend Stephanie said I kept writing “was I in an accident?”
     When I woke up 5 days later I didn’t remember anything. I thanked everyone at the ICU for my life, went home, and then slowly as the opiates faded away, remembered the trauma of the surgery & spent the first two days home kind of free-falling from the meds / lack of meds and the paralyzing realization that nothing matters. Luckily that was followed by the motivating revelation that nothing matters.
     I’m so moved by my real-life hero, Michael, and amazing Sissies (blood & otherwise) & friendos, who all coordinated so that there wasn’t a moment I was alone. It makes me cry. Which hurts my throat. So stop.
Anyway there are some funny stories too.
     I couldn’t speak for a while and I don’t remember a lot of my “lucid” time, but Amy (the Zvi) told me I stopped a nurse – like it was an emergency – furiously wrote down a note and gave it to her. When she looked at it, it just said, “Do you live with your mother?” next to a drawing of a penis.
Also, when I first woke up and the breathing tube came out, I still couldn’t talk and they gave me a board of letters to communicate. My loved ones stood there, so curious what was going to be the first thing I had to say. They followed my finger, rapt, as I pointed from letter to letter until I finally spelled out, “Did you see ‘Hello My Name is Doris.'”

I love you all. Your friend,


This entry was posted in Releases and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Sarah surfaces after serious health battle

  1. Johan Meijlaers says:

    All is well that ends well.

  2. Sarah Fan From Way Back Over There says:

    I’m very happy that you are okay, Sarah. As a long time medical professional, I can tell you that Epiglottitis is a fairly rare but life threatening condition, and can cause sudden death if not properly treated. You were fortunate to receive the great care that you did.
    Happy Happy Joy Joy.
    Be well, gorgeous.
    And VOTE TRUMP 2016

  3. George E. says:

    I too have had epiglottitis. I’d like to warn Sarah that if she was given a lot of antibiotics like I was, is to be careful of getting C-Dif. All the antibiotics took out all the bad germs, but also took out the good ones too. Two months afterward, I found this out while on vacation. I was in the bathroom and on the toilet every 15 minutes for most of my week off. I don’t know which was worse, the epiglottitis or the aftermath. Please caution Sarah if possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *